Sunday, April 15, 2007

Just one of the great mysteries of the world

It occurred to me today that the majority of the staff at my gym (insert ridiculous gym name here), minus the trainers, are visibly overweight. Is that any way to bring in the clients? I can picture the introduction during the "new members" tour now...

"Well, here at our front desk are Mary and Wendy. They really can't move around too much due to their excessive weight, so they just man the phones. That way, they can stay in one place and won't embarrass the other gym staff by being out on the work out floor. Our corporate office made us hire them; some sort of ridiculous diversity quota we had to fill. At any rate, don't pay any mind to them. They only speak if spoken to."

The cherry on this sludge sundae? The owner of the particular franchise location that I frequent is a portly woman, at least 50 pounds overweight.

It doesn't make any sense. It's like a mind fuck...do they do that on purpose? Does the rest of the staff use them as an example?

"You better keep coming back or you'll look like that. You don't want that, do you?"

Don't get it twisted: I'm not trying to be mean. It's not that I have anything against fat people. God knows that, according to the American Board of Health, I am borderline obese.

But I don't WORK at a gym.

I can't figure it out.

No comments: