Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Craisins for crazy

I feel a bit manic right now. I think I know why (besides the Craisins, which are delicious).

I have reached a point where I have truly triumphed in my professional life. It hit me today that I should be really proud of myself. And today, if only for a moment, I really was.

If I can do that, I sure as hell can apply it to my personal life.

So, I grew determination today.

Below, see my old Match.com profile. For those of you unfamiliar with Match, this is the "free form" section where you can write "about me and what I'm looking for."

I'm going to be really honest and upfront here because that's my personality. Happy reading!

I am a kind hearted person with an edge (it's indescribable for this purpose) looking to find a best friend and lover. I'm not interested in casual dating. I'm not interested in a male version of myself, because that's boring and I'm not sure it wouldn't drive me crazy. I need someone who makes me laugh and helps me relax. Admittedly, I can be a bit uptight. But admitting you have a problem is the first step.

For me, it's fun to have differing opinions in order to have some passionate discussions. Some things we should have in common, or have openmindedness about: politics, thoughts on religion, a "maybe yes, maybe no" outlook on having children, sleeping in whenever possible, working hard at our jobs and our relationship, and an appreciation for our families, no matter how dysfunctional they may be (or how annoying they can be). And dogs. Someday, I want a dog.

I am determined and driven. I like to get riled up. I enjoy my job and am successful in what I do. I'm kind of a nerd. And it would be cool if you were kind of a nerd, too. I want someone I can talk to who doesn't just nod and mumble. I'd like to be with someone who can teach me something about myself.

Sure, I can have my lazy moments, but I am a slave to my to do list. Read: a bit neurotic. (Again...admittance is key here!) Cleaning is a hobby. I know it's weird. It may have something to do with living with two men (no, I'm not dating either of them). I'm a neat freak, for sure. Don't get this confused with germaphobe.

I don't cook but could learn. Cooking for just one seems a bit pointless. I'm really good at following directions so it can't be that hard.

I like affection and being close. I'm a big snuggler and just plain old making out is one of my favorite things. Sloppy kissers need not apply.

There needs to be a connection, much more than commonalities and physical attraction. These two things are important, of course, but I don't have a particular "type" of guy I look for when it comes to the physical part. Personality is just as important. I mean it! And if I'm taller than you are with heels on, you need to be OK with that, because I could care less.

I am very sarcastic and have quick wit (majority of the time). You have to be able to keep up with me without coming off as arrogant and full of yourself (ditto for me). There is a fine line between that and confidence, and sometimes arrogance is covering up for lack of confidence. I have yet to meet a man who can hover over that line successfully. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a sucker for silly bathroom humor and love movies like Tommy Boy. Farting and burping are welcome (more like required), so are beer and sports (especially baseball). I may be a bit of a square sometimes (see above about being a neat freak), but I also know how to be a goofball.

I've been rejected and done rejecting. I've read the book "He's just not that into you" and I get it. Just please don't make me guess.

I will have an opinion about almost everything and will never shrug my shoulders when you ask me what movie I want to see or food I want to eat. At the same time, I can compromise.

I am generous with my time and my caring. I don't need a man to complete my life, but I do want to find stud who gets it. Is that you?


There is no doubt that this is an accurate portrail of my personality and what I'm looking for, as best as one can write such a thing about themselves. I re-read it last night and something was missing. Or rather...there wasn't enough missing. I need to put the best representation of myself out there and that wasn't really it. I need to contain the crazy...at least a little.

On the way home from my second to last day at work, I had a great idea. What am I always talking about? What do I love? What can I get lost in?

And the answer is...POP CULTURE. Movies, music, celebrity gossip, television...anything! Big shout out to The Hindu Heat for the inspiration.

SO...here's the new "about me and what I'm looking for" section:

Do you like to talk about pop culture? Do you have many, upon many meaningful opinions on the topic?

Yes and Yes.

Just to name a few:
The dynasty that is American Idol. Ryan Gosling and why I think he’s the next Ed Norton. Why Justin Timberlake is an amazing musician and why I don’t think he’s hot. The great, good, bad and horrible of the television network that is E!. Why Paula Abdul is famous and I’m not. Why I’m sick of hospital dramas, and why Scubs is popular. Why I don’t have DVR or Tivo. The Netflix phenomenon. iTunes. Reality TV and what it says about the current human condition. Sub Sub topic: Come on! Are people really like that? (Specifically in reference to anything on MTV, and how I’m drawn in, despite the horror). Why Swingers is the best movie ever made and Fight Club is the second. Does Ryan Seacrest sleep or is he clone of Dick Clark that was created in a laboratory? What happened to Dunkleman? Why I do, in fact, love New York. Where James Fry went wrong and how he could make a come back. Books made into movies. Movies made into books. Great American Authors and why I can't help but read any book by John Irving. Actors that become politicians. Politicians that become actors. Why I hate James Taylor. Why I think Tarantino is over-rated. Why I think Linklater is under-rated. Spoiler Alert! Why the new James Bond is the best James Bond, and why the new bond girl may be the worst (concurrently, why I think it’s just fine that she bites it in the end). Why I want JK Rowlings money. What I think is actually wrong with Tom Cruise (concurrently, How society reacts to celebrity and how celebrity reacts to itself). Why I cried when Phil Hartman died. Why I don’t watch Lost, Grey’s Anatomy or 24. Why I hate Blockbuster. Why women don’t like video games and why men get lost in them. Why I need a high definition TV. Why “The Soup” is the best show on television. Why “Law and Order” isn’t. Why I miss Beavis and Butthead.

Why we need online dating.


I like it, quite a bit. I think it's fucking genius, actually.

Shhh...it's the craisins talking.

No comments: