Wednesday, June 15, 2005

And I thought I was crazy

I would never belittle someone of their beliefs. I actually wish I believed in some sort of faith, only because I respect the amount of commitment and faith that goes into these things. Everyone will believe what they want to believe and that's that.

With that said, I think Tom Cruise is a complete nut job. A direct quote: "People go for help but their lives don't get better because of these drugs. They get worse. They feel numb and they're told that's a good thing. It's becoming like Huxley's Brave New World. It's like what the English did to China with opium [in the 19th century]. How is this different? It's how you degrade a society — by drugging the piss out of it."

Now, I take personal offense to this. To a certain extent, our society is overly medicated. This is true. However, depression is a disease and is treated as such. It's been proven time and time again by experts and more experts. Just like a diabetic has to take insulin, a truly afflicted depressed person has to take medication to function properly. Period.

Another direct quote: "Look at the experimentation the Nazis did with electric shock and drugging. Look at the drug methadone. That was originally called Adolophine. It was named after Adolf Hitler..." Really Tom? REALLY? See, here I was thinking this was all a bunch of hooey. Oh wait...WAIT. That's because IT IS. Get a grip, dude.

I in no way mean to degrade a belief system, but Scientology preys on the weak. It's a friggin cult. It's funny how I never really gave Tom Cruise a second thought until he publically declared he's a complete crazy. But know what? He does it because he can. Even if he never made another movie, he's set for life.

And for your complete and utter lack of boundries Tom, I salute you.

No comments: