Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Magical Evening, Part 2 of 2

Ok so...my lady friend and I sat and watched the swing dancing "lessons" on the back deck of the ICA. I use the term "lessons" loosely because the instructors were less than precise about their direction. They were actually both a big mess. Everyone was confused and hilarity (at least to us) ensued.

There were all kinds of people partaking, some cute, and some utterly ridiculous. There were more fanny packs and tourists than I care to speak of.

It was while we were watching that I realized this was the most fun I had had in the longest time, and I couldn't stop laughing. I was wiping my eyes from the tears every few minutes. I could blame it on being extremely over tired, or on being so giddy that it was Friday, or maybe my lady friend and I were just a match made in heaven at that moment.

So while we were on the back deck, we both realized that Anthony's Pier 4 was next door and that neither of us had never been and didn't know too much about it but had heard (in general terms) that the food was good.

It all started innocently. We opened our menus to paruse the choices and I quickly realized how ridiculously over priced all of the entrees were. Sure, it included dishes like prime rib and lobster, but the prices were 50% more than they would be in any other restaurant Boston waterfront restaurant. Then I looked around and realized we were the youngest people there by about 20 years. Then I also realized that this is where people who wanted to throw away their money and eat shitty food came to dine. And I knew immediately that this whole experience would be a large waste of money.

But it would NOT be a waste of time. Oh no.

Our attitude at that moment is best described as a quote from a classic 80's movie: "Sometimes you just have to say 'What the fuck.'"

So that's what we did.

Our waiter was shaping up to be a complete moron. He didn't know what Lobster Newburgh (a regular dish on the menu, which we found what just bisque with a tail in it) was. Either it was his first day or he had a touch of the Down's. I'm not sure. But either way, we decided it would be fun to mess with his head.

And so our romatic dinner as a lesbian couple began. I, of course, was the dominant one, ordering for my lady friend and not letting her speak directly to the waiter. She would slip up occasionally, I would threaten her life in front of the wait staff and then she would pretend to cry a bit. It was all was very well played.

The looks we got from him (and the water guy) were priceless, and there are not words that exist in nature to describe them. We made it a night where we got our money's worth.

But we'll never go back to that stupid place again.

No comments: