Friday, June 03, 2011

Excuse me, but you have my stapler

Fuck me.

I've been messaging back and forth with a potential suitor, but I think he may be too young for me. It hasn't gotten juicy or hilarious or stupid yet, but I'll be sure to update you if it does. I was messaging with another guy that seemed alright, but then he referred to Kristen Wiig as "grating" so I don't think I will write him back. I don't want to know someone with that opinion.

While I'm thinking of it, the recent (2!) comments to my blog have touched me. Deeply. Maybe it is three of you that read now, and that's fucking progress. I might as well be viral.

All that being said, I thought I would talk about work today. After all, I am at work just trying to burn time until I do yet another meaningless and mind numbing task. I just watched Office Space last night and, for the first time out of the many upon many times that I have watched it, I could truly and deeply relate to Mr. Peter Gibbons. I have never had a job before where I felt like that. For this, I consider myself lucky. I have always done something that I was invested in and proud of (ok well, mostly). Until now.

This job was never intended to be anything permanent. And, as Peter G. would say, it's not that I'm lazy. It's just that I'm not motivated. I don't care about reconcilling the assets on an investment account, especially since I am required to spend hours searching for differences that amount to pennies. Added to that, I feel like everyone who works here has a smile drawn on their face. It's boring, it's degrading and it pays next to nothing. Yet I was so excited when I landed it.

Despite all this, I am grateful for something to fill part of my days. Sure I would love to sit around and do nothing ALL THE TIME, but I don't have good cable or DVR anymore and I really need to stop buying books, so I don't have all that much to do in my spare time as it is. And while I adore that school is finally over, I am terrified of having nothing to do, even if I loathed what I had to do before.

AND even with all this, I don't find myself running home to jump on Monster and look for full time gigs that are actually in my field.

And again, it's not because I'm lazy. It's because I'm scared.

No comments: